Spring Break (Part II): Paris

J'aime beaucoup Paris!!
Yesterday morning, we had our petit dejeuner of croissant with butter and jam, orange juice, cereal, and coffee at the hostel and went for a free walking tour of Paris.  It was 3 1/2 hours long, but we saw a lot of the important sites in Paris. 

We saw the Notre Dame cathedral, the Palais de Justice, the Pont Neuf, the Pont des Arts (where couples place locks on the bridge then throw the key into the water to symbolize their eternal love- so cute!), l'Academie, the Louvre, the Palais Royal, the Jardin de Tulieres, and the Obelisque.  Our tour guide as very good.  After the tour ended, I walked down the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe (the traffic around it is CRAZY) and then to the Eiffel Tower.  After that, I walked to the Ecole Militaire and then to Les Invalides, where Napoleon's tomb is and where there is still a hospital.
I walked across the Pont de Alexandre on my way to the Grand Palais and Petit Palais and then wandered around some touristy shops where I bought a beret (!) among other things.  I also saw the Madeleine, the Opera, and In the evening, I went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, and the inverted pyramid on the way out.  That museum is huge, and I didn't have very much time there, but I saw the most famous pieces.  Sarah and I grabbed a sandwich for dinner before we saw Date Night (translated Crazy Night in French) at a theatre on the Camps Elysees.  There was a special at the theatre so we only paid 3.50 euro for the movie.  It was in English with French subtitles and very funny!  I enjoyed it a lot!!  After the movie ended, we walked to the Eiffel Tower to see it lit up at night.  It glitters at certain times, which was very cool!  We took the metro back to our hostel, and I got a crepe on the way.

This morning, we went by the Panthon and went back to the Notre Dame and went inside.  The stained glass windows are amazing, as are the statues on the outside of the building by the doors.  The Fait du Pain (Party of Bread) was going on outside the cathedral, so we got to see how baguettes are made.  They roll the dough with their hands then put it in a cloth which they bunch up between the loaves.  It's very simple.  After leaving the cathedral, we walked around and explored the area, stopping in Shakespeare and Company, and English bookstore where famous authors like Ernest Hemingway spent their time while they were living in Paris.  We had crepes and espresso for lunch, and we are going to go to the markets along the street where our hostel is and buy baguettes, meat, cheese, vegetables, and wine for dinner.  Our flight to London is at 10pm tonight. I am sad to leave Paris- I like it a lot here.  I'll have to come back and visit again!
Au revoir!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "Spring Break (Part II): Paris"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    May 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM

    love love love!

Post a Comment